|Ariel view of Courbaton, note the barrack-like buildings|
|Ice stalactites in the spooky tunnel|
Once the scheme was completed, in 1952 Courbaton became a holiday camp for EDF employees, where they could enjoy ski and summer holidays partly at their employers expense. It's now in private hands and been extensively renovated for holiday lets.
|The guardhouse of the fort at Courbaton, still largely intact|
|Marketing poster, 1963 - |
"from the train direct to the snow"
Some opponents of Les Arcs campaigned for the enlargement of Courbaton 1750 as an alternative to the initial development of Arc 1600 in 1968, without success. The chairlift from Bourg continued running until 1974 when the telephèrique (cable car) was built, the top station of which is still clearly visible (and scanadalously derelict) next to the top station of the Funicular, which replaced the cable car in 1989.
|Courbaton 1750, on the Granges piste. Note the chairlift.|